Bismarck Indian School (North Dakota)
|Native American Topics|
|Bureau of Indian Affairs|
History[edit | edit source]
Bismarck Indian School was authorized in 1901 but not opened until 1908 as one of the non-reservation co-ed boarding schools. It was originally to be known as the Mandan Indian School. Bismarck Indian School closed for several months and the students were transferred to Standing Rock, 18 January 1918. It became independent again, 23 July 1918 and became an all-girls school in 1922. Enrollment ranged from 50 to 125 students per year until it was closed in 1937. Students were transferred in Standing Rock, 30 June 1937.
Title to the grounds was later transferred to the State of North Dakota in 1945 for use as a military reservation for the North Dakota National Guard. It is now called Fraine Barracks.
Records[edit | edit source]
The records for this school are in the Central Plains Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Kansas City.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Armstrong Academy, 1908-1935, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Roll 4, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724222). Reports for some years are missing.
References[edit | edit source]
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.