Bilston, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Bilston, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Wolverhampton|
|Parish registers: 1684|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1799|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Peculiar of Wolverhampton; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BILSTON, a market-town and chapelry, in the parish, borough, and union of Wolverhampton, N. division of the hundred of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (S. E.) from Wolverhampton, 19 (S. by E.) from Stafford, and 120 (N. W.) from London. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, Methodists of the New Connexion, and Roman Catholics; also a small Welsh chapel. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Bilston St Leonard formerly a chapelry of Wolverhampton St Peter Marriages for 1755-1841 were performed at Wolverhampton St Peter and will be found in those registers.
Bilston St Leonard parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BILSTON ST LEONARD PARISH (1684) Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1684-1998 Mar 1747-1754, 1841-1993 Bur 1727-1955
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1799-1835 Mar none Bur 1799-1835
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Colds Lane Methodist Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|COLDS LANE METHODIST CHAPEL (1873) Online Records|
Bilston High St. Primitive Methodist Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BILSTON HIGH ST. PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (1827) Online Records|
Bilston Oxford St. Independent Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BILSTON OXFORD ST. INDEPENDENT CHAPEL (1785) Online Records|
Bilston Swan Bank Wesleyan Methodist Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BILSTON SWAN BANK WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (1816) Online Records|
Cemetery Records[edit | edit source]
FREG has transcribed the following Burial Registers1855-1928
FREG has transcribed the following Burial Registers1855-1880
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Bilston, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 22 October 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 23 July 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 21 Jan 2015.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- Staffordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- 'Parish Register Indexes', The History of Wolverhampton: The City and Its People, accessed 20 August 2014.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8