Austria Civil Registration
|Austria Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
How to Find the Records[edit | edit source]
Offices to Contact[edit | edit source]
To obtain a certificate, you need to contact the registry office which registered the event.
To find an address for a local registry, use the Austrian Government Help Portal.
For Vienna only, Municipal Department 35 provides the relevant service.
Historical Background[edit | edit source]
Civil registration (Zivilstandsregister) is births, marriages, marriage supplements, deaths, family registers kept by the government.
Coverage and Compliance[edit | edit source]
- Records of births and deaths began on 1 January 1939.
- Civil registration of marriages started on 1 August 1938; however, marriages celebrated between 1 August 1938 and 31 December 1938 were conducted at regional district offices (Bezirkshauptmannschaften).
- Civil registration began in Hungary in 1895 and those parts of the modern federal province of Burgenland which were then part of Hungary will have civil registration records.
Information Recorded in the Records[edit | edit source]
Births[edit | edit source]
- Name of child
- Date and place of birth
- Names, residence, and occupation of parents
Marriages[edit | edit source]
- Occupations of groom and bride
- Sometimes date and place of birth and/or ages
- Parents' names
- Date and place of marriage
- Residences, occupations, names of witnesses and officer who performed ceremony
Marriage Supplements[edit | edit source]
- Names of marriage partners
- Documents showing proofs of births, deaths, prior marriages or divorces, proclamations, contracts, etc.
Death Registers[edit | edit source]
- Date and place of death
- Name of surviving spouse
- Name and residence of informant
- Cause of death
- Sometimes date and place of birth, names of parents, names of children
References[edit | edit source]