Australia, Tasmania, Military Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This collection has been made available through the FamilySearch Catalog. To access the records please see the Coverage Table section of this article.|
|Access the Records|
|This article describes a collection of records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Australia|
|Flag of Tasmania|
|Location of Tasmania, Australia|
|Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 What Do I Do Next?
- 4 Citing This Collection
- 5 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This record consists of indexes and images of two small series of records from the Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office.
- Registers of Volunteers Enrolled in the Southern Tasmanian Volunteer Artillery (7 Jul 1887-29 May 1903)
- Nominal Roll of Volunteers, Launceston Artillery (29 Apr 1878-4 Apr 1884)
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
The following records are included in this collection. Click the link to see the FamilySearch Catalog record and description of the the records.
- Australia. Army. Infantry Regiment, 12th, Muster rolls, 1906-1911
- Australia. Army. Infantry Regiment, 12th, Record of officers services, 1877-1921
- Australia. Army. Southern Tasmanian Volunteer Artillery, Register of volunteers, 1879-1903
- Australia. Army. Tasmanian Command, Record of officers services, 1877-1922
- Australia. Colonial Secretary, Deeds and other documents from the correspondence records, Tasmania, 1823-1848
- Australia. Colonial Secretary, Register of deeds and documents, Tasmania, 1824-1865
- Australia. Colonial Secretary, Ship clearances, Hobart, 1823-1828
- Australia. Royal commission on old age pensions, District register of old age pension claims, Bothwell, 1909-1932
- Australia. Royal commission on old age pensions, District register of war pension claims, Bothwell, 1915-1921
- Tasmania. Comptroller General of Convicts, Description list of persons convicted by court martial, 1840
- Tasmania. Comptroller General of Convicts, Description lists of convicts arriving in Van Diemen's land from Norfolk Island, 1851
- Tasmania. Principal Superintendent of Convicts, Description lists of convicts (male and female) locally convicted or transported from other colonies, about 1842-1853
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- Use the soldier's age and location of the military unit to find his family in census, church, and land records.
- Use the soldier’s place of residence to locate local government or church records.
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Look for additional indexes. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the records of nearby military units, counties or parishes.
- Try searching for only the given name or surname, as one may be indexed incorrectly.
- Some of these records only record initials for the given and middle names, try searching with just the initials or the surname to locate your ancestor.
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Australia.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.