Australia, Tasmania, Migrant Files - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Australia, Tasmania, Migrant Files
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Australia|
|Flag of Tasmania|
|Location of Tasmania, Australia|
|Record Type||Migrant Files|
|Tasmanian Archives and Heritage|
- 1 What is in This Collection
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection[edit | edit source]
These records contain sponsored migrant files, letters from their supporters, and inquiries from prospective settlers coming to Tasmania. Migrant files usually contain the name and other details about the individual including place of residence, departure location, and planned destination. Supporters may write a letter of recommendation for the hopeful migrant. The records come from the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Australia, Tasmania, Migrant Files, 1945-1968.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in this record:
- Name and address of nominator (sponsor) and possible relationship to prospective migrant
- Name and resident of nominee or prospective migrant
- Occupation of nominee
- If accompanied by family - number in family and maybe names, ages, and relationship
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]
|This collection does not have a searchable index. Only images are available. See View the Images to access them.|
View the Images[edit | edit source]View images in this collection by visiting the Collection Browse Page:
- Select Name, Year range, Archival Number to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Australia, Tasmania, migrant files, 1945-1968|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for census records from country of origin
- Search for immigration records
- If your ancestor list his age, search for his birth records in country of origin
- If your ancestor list family members search records involving his family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname
- Search the records of nearby areas
- Check for other names. An individual might appear under an unexpected name for a variety of reasons:
- A woman may have returned to her maiden name after the death of her husband
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Australia.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.