Guide to Argentina ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, church records, parish registers, and civil registration.
|Argentina Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Country Information[edit | edit source]
Argentina is bordered by Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Brazil, and Uruguay. In 1810 the provinces belonging to the Río de la Plata separated themselves from the crown of Spain. In 1816, the United Provinces of the Rio Plata formally declared their independence from Spain. Spanish is the official language.
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Argentina Research
Links to articles on getting started with Argentina research.
Argentina Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Argentina research.
Finding Your Ancestors' Town in Argentina[edit | edit source]
- Genealogical records are organized by geographical locality. Civil registration (government birth, marriage, and death records) and church records (christenings/baptisms, marriages, and burials) were kept at the local level. To search these records, you must know the town where your ancestors lived.
- If you do not know your ancestors' town, follow the advice in the Wiki article, Argentina Finding Town of Origin, to search a variety of records that might provide that information.
Argentina Clickable Map[edit | edit source]
Argentina is politically divided into 23 provinces and 1 autonomous city. Understanding political divisions is essential to doing family history, because these divisions determine where records are recorded and archived. To learn more about Argentina's political division, Click here. To visit the page of a particular province, just click on the name of the province on either the map or the list below.
Provinces[edit | edit source]
Argentina is subdivided into twenty-three provinces and one autonomous city, Buenos Aires, which is the federal capital of the nation. Click on a province below to go to the province wiki article listing more information.
More Argentina Research Strategies[edit | edit source]
Research strategies give guidance on how to research or what records to search for first. Below are additional research strategy wiki articles for Argentina.
More Argentina Research Tools[edit | edit source]
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and wiki articles to research tools in Argentina.
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Latin America FamilySearch Tutorials Latin America Research
- Historical Records - Listing of all records collections for Argentina available on FamilySearch.org
- Family History Center locator map
Research Tutorials[edit | edit source]
- Search page
- Introduction to Hispanic Research
- U.S. Hispanic Immigration
- U.S. Hispanic Immigrants: Finding their Place of Origin
- Improve your Search Results in FamilySearch Hispanic Records
- Deciphering Spanish Handwriting
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Argentina," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentina, accessed 23 March 2016.