9th Regiment, New York Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
"Compendium of the War of the Rebellion" by Frederick H. Dyer contains no history for this unit.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- Graham, Matthew John. The Ninth Regiment New York Volunteers (Hawkins' Zouaves) : being a history of the regiment and veteran association from 1860 to 1900. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083665 and (New York, New York : [s.n.], 1900), FHL book 974.7 M2g
- Hawkins, Rush Christopher. An account of the assassination of loyal citizens of North Carolina for having served in the Union Army : which took place at Kingston in the months of February and March, 1864. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083666
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database.
- Hussey, George A. History of the ninth regiment : N.Y.S.M - N.G.S.N.Y., (eighty-third N.Y. volunteers), 1845-1888. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1990) FHL Fiche 6049557and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992)FHL Fiche 6083774
- Johnson, Charles F. The long roll : being a journal of the Civil War, as set down during the years 1861-1863. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083667
- Langbein, John Christopher Julius.The colors of the 9th Regiment, N. Y. Volunteers, Hawkins' Zouaves : a retrospect of thirty-eight years delivered by J.C. Julius Langbein (past commander) before E.A. Kimball Post, No. 100, G.A.R., Department of New York, Saturday evening, June 3, 1899. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083668
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 9th (Hawkins Zouaves). Annual reunion of the Hawkins Zouaves Association, 9th Regiment New York Volunteers. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083664
- Whitney, John Henry Ellsworth. The Hawkins Zouaves (Ninth N. Y. V.) : their battles and marches. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992.) FHL Fiche 6083669 and (New York, New York : J.H.E. Whitney, 1866)FHL Book 974.71 M2w
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011)