6th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (3 months, 1861)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, April 22-27, 1861. They mustered out August 2, 1861.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section,6th Regiment Infantry (3 Months), (accessed 26 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 6th Regiment Indiana Infantry (3 months), (accessed 26 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- See 6th Regiment, Indiana Infantry. item after this. Is the 6th Indiana Infantry Roster before the Reorganized Roster.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 6th Regiments, Infantry (3 months, 1861).
- Wilipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 6th Regimental, Infantry (3 months, 1861).
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).