4th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in August 22, 1862.
They had duty at Macon till May and at Nashville and Edgefield, Tennessee, till June. They mustered out June 29, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section,4th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 26 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Hendricks and Marion counties - see Roster on page 245
- Company B - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 246
- Company C - many men from Kosciusko County - see Roster on page 248
- Company D - many men from Clark and Floyd counties - see Roster on page 250
- Company E - many men from La Porte County - see Roster on page 252
- Company F- many men from Pike, Gibson and Vanderburg counties - see Roster on page 254
- Company G - many men from Lawrence County - see Roster on page 256
- Company H - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 257
- Company I - many men from Warrick, Montgomery, Tippecanoe, Clinton, Morgan, and Boone counties - see Roster on page 259
- Company K - many men from Parke County - see Roster on page 261
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 263
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 77th Regimen/4th Indiana Cavalry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Company B - many men from Dearborn County - 
- Company B - 42 private, 2 officers from Franklin County 
[edit | edit source]
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 4th Regiments, Indiana Cavalry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 4th Regimental, Indiana Cavalry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Fogle, James S. Civil War letters of James Fogle and Solomon Glick : transcript. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1987), FHL film 1513825 Item 2
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- "Civil War" Chapter 13 in History of Dearborn and Ohio Counties, Indiana: From Their Earliest Settlement, Containing a History of the Counties; Their Cities, Townships, Towns, Villages, Schools, and Churches ... Biographies; Preliminary Chapters on the History of the North-West Territory, the State of Indiana, and the Indians. (Evansville, IN: Whipporwill Publications, 1986.) page 203-225, 977.21 H2h 1977 FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraryINTERNET ARCHIVE
- "Civil War" in "Military History of Franklin County" Chapter 12 of Reifel, August J. History of Franklin County, Indiana; Her People, Industries and Institutions. (Indianapolis, Ind: B.F. Bowen, 1915.), (page 300, Regiment, Companies, some Name's)FHL US/CAN Film 934904 Item 3 FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE