40th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This Unit was organized at Lafayette and Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in December 30, 1861. It had duty at Green Lake and San Antonio, Texas and at Port Lavacca till December. They mustered out December 21, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 40th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 9 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 40th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Tippecanoe County - see Roster on page 251
- Company B - many men from Miami County - see Roster on page 253
- Company C - many men from Tippecanoe, Vigo, Montgomery, and Clinton counties - see Roster on page 255
- Company D - many men from Tippecanoe County - see Roster on page 257
- Company E - many men from Fountain, Clinton, and Benton counties - see Roster on page 259
- Company F- many men from Boone County - see Roster on page 261
- Company G -many men from Tippecanoe, Batholomew, and Marion counties - see Roster on page 264
- Company H - many men from Tippecanoe, Montgomery, and Hendricks counties - see Roster on page 266
- Company I - many men from Fountain, Warren, and Tippecanoe counties - see Roster on page 268
- Company K - many men Boone and Tippecanoe counties - see Roster on page 269
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 271
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 40th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- 40th Regiment, Indiana This website has photographs, biographical and personal sketches of the soldiers of the 4oth Reg.
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 40th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 40th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 40th Indiana Infantry (accessed 21 Jan 2011) includes photos, rosters of company A-K (city given with mixture of country), and history. Very Good web site!!!
- Montgomery Country Indiana (accessed 04 Jan 2010) in the Civil War
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- "Montgomery County In The War Of The Rebellion" in Beckwith, H. W., P. S. Kennedy, and Thomas Fleming Davidson. 1970. History of Fountain County, together with historic notes on the Wabash Valley: gleaned from early authors, old maps and manuscripts, private and official correspondence, and other authentic sources. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic), (second book, page 66-70, Regiment, Companies, Roll of Officers and then Enlisted Men.)977.247 H2b FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection [http://www.worldcat.org/title/history-of-fountain-county-together-with-historic-notes-on-the-wabash-valley-gleaned-from-early-authors-old-maps-and-manuscripts-private-and-official-correspondence-and-other-authentic-sources/oclc/12587721& referer=brief_results other libraries]INTERNET ARCHIVE