2nd Regiment, North Carolina Junior Reserves
Brief History[edit | edit source]
2nd Regiment, North Carolina Junior Reserves was formed in December, 1864, by consolidating the just organized 2nd and 5th Junior Reserve Battalions. It surrendered on April 26, 1865. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company D - many men from Cleveland County
Company E - many men from Cabarrus County
Company F - many men from Union County
Company I - many men from Beaufort County
Company F of the N.C. Junior Reserves were comprised mainly of young men from Union County, N.C. 
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘North Carolina in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- North Carolina in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for North Carolina, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 24 January 2018).
- Brown, Matthew M and Coffey, Michael W.North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster. Vol 17. Raleigh, N.C. : State Dept. of Archives and History, 2009. FHL book975.6 M2nc Vol 17
- 2nd N.C. Junior Reserves, Also known as 71st Regiment NC Infantry (Confederate), Roster of Company F