25th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
Oganized at Savannah, Georgia, in September, 1861. The men were raised in the counties of Bryan, Screven, Liberty, Telfair, Henry, and Calhoun.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices, and Staff - see - Roster on page 89
- Company A - ("Bryan Independent Riflemen") Bryan County - see - Roster on page 92; USGenWeb
- Company B - ("Black Creek Volunteers") Screven County - see - Roster on page 97; USGenWeb
- Company C - ("Warsaw Rifles") Milton County - see - Roster on page 103; USGenWeb
- Company D - ("Ogeechee Rifles") Screven County - see - Roster on page 107; USGenWeb
- Company E - ("Liberty Volunteers") Liberty County - see - Roster on page 116; USGenWeb
- Company E - ("Irwin Invinciblea" Subsequently "Henry Light Infantry") - see- Roster on page 123 (History); USGenWeb
- Company F - ("Altamaha Scouts") Liberty County - see - Roster on page 139; USGenWeb
- Company G - ("Brown Light Infantry") Screven County - see - Roster on page 147; USGenWeb
- Company H - ("Telfair Irish Grays") Chathan County - see - Roster on page 155; USGenWeb
- Company I - ("Brayan Guards") Chatham County - see - Roster on page 161; USGenWeb
- Company K - ("Wise Guards") Macon County - see - Roster on page 168; USGenWeb
- Company L - ("Calhoun Repeaters") Calhoun County - see - Roster on page 175; USGenWeb
Georgia, and Lillian Henderson. 1959. Roster of the Confederate soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865. Hapeville, Ga: Longina & Porter. WorldCat FHL Collection HATHI TRUST Digital Library HATHI TRUST ; also on USGenWeb
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project - Civil War Records - Individual Soldiers
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Cobbs Legion/Georgia has information about the organization of this unit and its activities.
- Rootsweb 25th Regiment, Georgia Infantry gives some history, organization and command changes for this unit.
- 25th Regiment, Georgia Infantry gives a history of this unit and its commanders as well as some of the battles.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).