1st Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (Feild's) (Confederate)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
"1st (Maney's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment - Records filed as 1st (Field's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment"
"This regiment was organized May 9, 1861 at Nashville, Tennessee; mustered into Confederate service August 1, 1861; reorganized about May 1, 1862 at Corinth, Mississippi and consolidated with the 27th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry in December of 1862. It was paroled at Greensboro, North Carolina, April 26, 1865." 
The book "Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Nashville, Davidson County - The Rock City Guards
- Company B - Nashville, Davidson County - The Rock City Guards
- Company C - Nashville, Davidson County - The Rock City Guards
- Company D - Williamson County - The Williamson Grays
- Company E - Nashville, Davidson County - The Tennessee Riflemen
- Company F - Nashville, Davidson County - The Railroad Boys
- Company G - Maury and Hardin Counties - The Brown Guards
- Company H - Maury County - The Maury Grays
- Company I - Rutherford County - The Rutherford Rifles
- Company K - Giles County - The Martin Guards
- Company L - Nashville, Davidson County - The Stevenson Guards
The information about the counties is from Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 18 Nov 2011).
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lindsley, John Berrien, The Military Annals of Tennessee – Confederate First Series, Embracing A Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources, (Nashville: J.M. Lindsley & Co. Publishers; 1886). Online book at Internet Archive, (accessed 3 Sep 2011). History and memorial rolls of the 1st Regiment, Tennessee Infantry start on page 155.
- Noll, Arthur Howard, Doctor Quintard, Chaplain C.S.A and Second Bishop of Tennessee; Being His Story of the War. Available to loan through worldcat.org, (accessed 3 Sep 2011). This book can be searched through GooBooGenl, (accessed 3 Sep 2011).
- Quintard, Charles Todd, The Confederate Soldier's Pocket Manual of Devotions, (Charleston: Evans & Cogswell, 1863). Available online through Internet Archive, (accessed 3 Sep 2011).
- Watkins, Sam R., "Co. Aytch": Maury Grays, First Tennessee Regiment, Or, a Side Show of the Big Show, Chattanooga, Tenn. : Times Printing Co., 1900. Online book at Internet Archive, (accessed 26 Feb 2012) or Google Book, (accessed 26 Feb 2012).
- 1st Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company D, "Williamson Grays", (accessed 3 Sep 2011).
- Tennessee 1st Infantry Regiment (Field's) , (accessed 3 Sep 2011). The War for Southern Independence. History, officers, assignments, partial rosters and research books available for purchase listed.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 3 Sep 2011). 24th Tennessee Sharpshooter Battalion, also called Maney's Battalion. Brief History and Humphrey County Link.
- 1st (Manney's) Infantry Regiment, Tennessee in the Civil War, (accessed 26 Sep 2011). Records filed as 1st (Feild's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment. List of officers and brief history.
- 1st Tennessee Infantry, Maney's Co. E, (accessed 3 Sep 2011). Regimental organization, history, roster, photos and map.
- The First Tennessee (Confederate) Regiment, a brief history, (accessed 28 Dec 2011).
- The Martin Guards, (accessed 26 Feb 2012). The roster of Company K, 1st Tennessee Infantry, CSA.