1st Regiment, Maine Veteran Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 1st Regiment, Maine Veteran Infantry was organized at Charleston, Va., by consolidation of the Veterans of the 5th, 6th and 7th Regiments of Maine Volunteer Infantry. They mustered in, August 21, 1864, and mustered out June 28, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Regiment Veteran Infantry, (accessed 30 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 1st Maine Infantry Battalion, (accessed 6 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Maine in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Maine in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Maine, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- History of the First-Tenth-Twenty-nineth Maine regiments: in service of the United States from May 3, 1861, to June 21, 1866 Google Books
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).