1st Regiment, Louisiana Infantry (Union)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
Organized at New Orleans, La., July 30, 1862. Mustered out July 12, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Regiment Infantry, (accessed 20 April 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 1st Louisiana Regiment Infantry (Union), (accessed 29 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Louisiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Louisiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Louisiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Smith, George Gilbert. Leaves from a soldier's diary : the personal record of Lieutenant George G. Smith, Co. C., 1st Louisiana regiment infantry volunteers (white) during the war of the rebellion ; also a partial history of the operations of the army and navy in the Department of the Gulf from the capture of New Orleans to the close of the war. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL film 6082422
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).