15th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry
Guide to 15th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 15th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry was organized at Madison, Wisconsin, and it was mustered in February 14, 1862.This regiment was also known as the Scandinavian Regiment since almost all of the soldiers were from Norway with some from Denmark and Sweden.
Companies "A," "B" and "E" were mustered out December 1, 1864; Company "C" was mustered out January 1; Companies "F" and "G" were mustered out January 14; Companies "I" and "K" February 11; and Companies "D" and "H" were mustered out February 13, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 15th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 16 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 15th Wisconsin Volunteer Regiment, (accessed 16 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following company links are to rosters taken from Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Unassigned Recruits Roster page 829.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Wisconsin in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Wisconsin in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Wisconsin, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Ager, Waldemar Theodor. Oberst Heg og hans gutter. (Washington [District of Columbia]: Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1981), FHL film 1550118 and (Bethesda, Maryland: University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118382.
- Buslett, Ole Amundson. Det Femtende Regiment Wisconsin frivillige. (Washington [District of Columbia]: Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1988), FHL Film 1550122 and (Bethesda, Maryland: University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118383.
- Dietrichson, Peter Gabriel. En kortfattet skildring af det Femtende Wisconsin regiments historie og virksomhed under borgerkrigen : samt nogle korte track af fangernes ophold i Andersonville. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118384.
- Enander, Johan Alfred, 1842-1910. Borgerkrigen i De forenede stater i Nord Amerika: med en kortfattet beretning om det 15de Wis. regiments deltagelse i krigen og et portræt af oberst H. C. Heg. (Bethesda, Maryland: University Publications of America, 1993), FHL Fiche 6118385.
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 15th (1862-1865). Det Skandinaviske Regiments historie (15de Wisconsin Regiment) : en kortfattet historie om dets organisation og de feldt-toge, hvori det tog del. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118386.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Wikipedia contributors. Hans Christian Heg]. (accessed 31 May 2011)
- Wisconsin. Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865. Volume I. Madison: Democrat Printing Company, State Printers, 1886.