13th Battalion, Virginia Light Artillery (Confederate)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This Unit waf formed late in 1863 with three companies. Because the companies did not always serve together, the history of each is given under its own designation. The field officers were Lieutenant Colonel J. Floyd King, and Majors Wade H. Gibbes and William M. Owen. 
Companies[edit | edit source]
Field and Staff
- Otey's--Walker's Battery
Other Source Material[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in Virginia in the Civil War and United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Virginia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Virginia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- In Memoriam: The Dead of the Otey Battery, of the Thirteenth Battalion Virginia Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia, C.S.A. Richmond, Va.: West, Johnston & Co., 1887. FHL Fiche 6082771.
- Reunion of the Otey Battery, C.S.A., February 22d, 1876. Richmond, Va., 1876. FHL Fiche 6082772.
- Savage, George. An Address Delivered by Private George Savage at the Annual Reunion of the Survivors of the Otey Battery, Thirteenth Battalion Virginia Artillery, C.S.A.: At James River Brewery Park, Near Richmond, Va.; June 10th, 1878. Richmond, Va.: Baughman Bros., 1878. FHL Fiche 6082773.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).