10th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 10th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry was organized at Grand Rapids, Michigan, September 18 to November 23, 1863. It mustered in November 18, 1863. It mustered out November 11, 1865 in West Tennessee. 
For a history of this regiment see Michigan in the Civil War MIGenWeb website which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
- The Civil War Archive section, 10th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 13 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 10th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 13 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lanman, Charles. The Red Book of Michigan; A Civil, Military and Biographical History. Detroit: E. B. Smith & company, 1871. Pages 296-298. Digital Copy. Another Digital Copy. FHL Film 1425611 Item 1 . Other Libraries.
- Michigan Adjutant Generals Office and George H. Turner. "Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Tenth Cavalry]" ( Lansing, Mich: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905). Digital Copy. FHL Fiche 6084619 . Other Libraries
- Trowbridge, L. S.(Luther Stephen) "A Brief History of the Tenth Michigan Cavalry" (Detroit, Michigan: Friesema Bros, 1905). Digital Copy. FHL Fiche 6084620 . Other Libraries and Michigan troops in the battle of Gettysburg : Michigan at Gettysburg : address of Gen. L. S. Trowbridge, July, 1st, 2nd and 3rd, 1863. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6084621
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 November 2010).