10th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This Unit was organized at Columbus, Vincennes, Terre Haute, New Albany and Indianapolis, Indiana, December 30, 1863, to April 30, 1864. They mustered out at Vicksburg, Mississippi, August 31, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 10th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 27 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Posey and Vanderburgh counties - see Roster on page 198
- Company B - many men from Knox, Vanderburgh, Gibson, and Posey counties - see Roster on page 199
- Company C - many men from Jackson, Jennings, Warren, and Bartholomew counties - see Roster on page 201
- Company D - many men from Switzerland County - see Roster on page 202
- Company E - many men from Clark County - see Roster on page 203
- Company F- many men from Pike, Daviess, Warrick, Knox, Gibson, and Vanderburgh counties - see Roster on page 205
- Company G - many men from Spencer, Dubois, Vanderburgh, Warrick, and Gibson counties - see Roster on page 207
- Company H - many men from Jefferson County - see Roster on page 208
- Company I - many men from Monroe County - see Roster on page 209
- Company K - many men from Posey,Gibson, and Bartholomew counties - see Roster on page 211
- Company L - many men from Bartholomew,Lawrence, and Jennings counties - see Roster on page 212
- Company M - many men from Dubois,Warrick, Spencer, Pike, and Vanderburgh counties - see Roster on page 214
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 215
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 125th Indiana Regimen / 10th Indiana Cavalry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 10th Regiments, Indiana Cavalry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 10th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).